Powered By Blogger

Friday 28 February 2014

Sightseeing in Saint Petersburg

The Mariinsky Theatre


Before I came to Russia I made a list of places I wanted to visit and the things I wanted to do.  Going to the ballet, the opera and a classical concert were on my list.  In November I had a chance to go and see the opera Prince Igor at the famous and grand Mariinsky Theatre.  I had never been to an opera before, and I had never heard of this particular opera either.  I soon learnt from the colleague, who had secured the tickets (at a very reasonable price of 1,000 roubles each (£20)), that it was composed by Borodin, and centred on the story of Russian Prince Igor who fought against the invading Polovtsian tribes in 1185. I did a little further research to find out more.


  
Top: My view from the balcony.  Not the greatest of pictures! Bottom:  A much better picture of the interior.


 
 
We arrived in good time that evening, and after leaving our coats and bags in the cloakroom, we eventually found our seats just above the Imperial Box.  Although the seats were very basic, I was rather overwhelmed by the grandeur of the interior.  The ornamentation, the lighting and the atmosphere.  I looked around at the other theatre-goers.  Most wore smart-casual and I did spot a few who were wearing their finest.  Some had the opera glasses in their hands.  And the performance started:  absolutely electrifying!  One of the first things I noticed were the English subtitles displayed on a rectangular screen above the stage.  At least now I could understand what they were singing about.  And the sound, the costumes, and especially the music from the orchestra were astounding.  This is what I had hoped it would be like.  In fact, it went beyond my expectations.  But, there was just one little thing that marred the experience:  other people nearby, or more precisely, their mobile phones.  The same ringtone - three times in the first fifteen minutes!
 
During the break we went down to the theatre's café and bought some coffee (and slipped some brandy into it) and a couple slices of bread with red caviar on top.  Delicious!  And the brandy worked its magic too.
 
Overall, a most pleasant experience and I would recommend that any visit to the city should include a stop at this particular glorious theatre.
 
 
                                                                                   Polovstian Dances
 
 
 

The Hermitage

 
Two hours is never enough and neither would a whole day suffice.  The State Hermitage Museum is colossal.   The museum  consists of the Winter Palace, the former state residence of the Russian emperors, the buildings of the Small, Old (Great) and New Hermitages, the Hermitage Theatre and the Auxiliary House.  It contains works of art from all over the world, including pieces by Leonardo Di Vinci.  For most visitors to Saint Petersburg The Hermitage is a must.
 
In the two hours I spent at The Hermitage, I visited the Italian Rooms, looked at some works by Dutch and Belgian masters and gorped at the golden peacock clock.  The sheer scale of the place is almost unimaginable.  When not appreciating the masses of fine art, sculptures and other treasures, you are walking through corridor after corridor, occasionally going up and down some of the finest stairs you will ever tread.  On that very cold and icy day before Christmas, there was also an ice-sculpture competition being held in the courtyard.
 
 

 
 
 



 
 
 
 


 
 

Meanwhile in Russia......

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment